Tuesday 7 February 2012

My live experience review

It has been AGES since I've been meaning to write this post:

One or two sentences for every noteworthy concert/band I've seen live. It'll be more interesting for hardcore fans to read, but who knows. May be you'll find your bands in here too.

Roger Waters (Pink Floyd) 'The dark side of the moon' We drove from Vegas to Hollywood. The excitement was huge and we didn't stop talking on the way there. Then, after the concert we drove back to Vegas nearly entirely in silence - mesmerized! Best show of my life!
Roger Waters (Pink Floyd) 'The Wall' Again huge expectations. Our seats were closer to the passing airplanes than to the stage, so this was hugely disappointing. BUT the show cannot be matched by any other experience! I nearly cried when it ended, cause I wanted to see it again and again.
Tool Tool are tools. So fuckin' disappointing! 1hr late for the show, 20 minutes of music, 1hr of improv when the guitar player ate a banana and threw the peel in the public. Then they just played one more song and never appeared on stage despite the screaming audience. F*CK rockstars!
As I Lay Dying Powerful! Passionate! Yet, gets old and boring after the 3rd song.
Evergreen Terrace Their vocalist totally doesn't match his voice. It's like watching a chill-out surfer get angry. Unconvincing, but still - good music and lotsa energy.
Bleeding Through Insanity! Massacre! Supermosh!
Integrity The entire show was like one breath! The energy - unmatched, the greatness - unattainable!
Death Before Dishonor Shut the F up, Get the F out, we're F*in Boston tough guys! They teased me for my Furious Styles t-shirt. Fuckers. The shirt is awesome.
Poison the Well A beauty! Their music is one of the post powerful and dynamic things I've experienced. The concert consisted of this amazing band and a SHITTY audience, so I was one of the few people enjoying it, as they played with Madball, Terror and DBD.
Bane These guys just 'give blood, give everything!' Even though the music is just SO monotonous, the shows are great if the audience isn't asleep.
Madball Always very true, very real, very sincere and energetic. They own up to their own statement that they ARE the NYHC.
H2O Toby was peeing in the bathroom as I entered. On the way out he stopped me and talked to me because I had an Integrity t-shirt on and he said he loved it. What I did? I didn't recognize him. Then he went right on the stage as I ate my ass.
7 Seconds So this is what it's like to get old and funny and unconvincing! Quote: 'I can't stage-dive, even though I so want to. My wife will hear and she'll kill me when I get home.'
Cro-Mags Jon Joseph is crazy! Can't say I enjoyed the show. It was just ok. I went there so I can say I've seen them live but the show was 'meh'.
Terror I like Scott! He's really sincere and passionate about hardcore. The music though just gets so old and boring that I was like - whatever. Let me go get a Gatorade or something at this boring SxE show.
Hot Water Music 1st time drove to LA to see them. No connection with the audience. Just their awesome music of which I know almost every lyric by heart. Yet - nothing. 2nd time I called out of work so I could go see them. Same shit, different day. Not even a recognition that they're playing live. Just looked like a live rehearsal to me.
NOFX Even though I am not a fan, the show was amazing! May be just because I was so bored from Hot water Music already that this fresh, funny band totally lifted my spirits.
Between the Buried and Me Didn't know them at the time, so I spent the show drinking beer on the side, waiting for them to be done. Little did I know that would be one of my favorite bands from then on!
Remembering Never I am such a fan of Mean Pete. But his other bands: Until the End and xBishopx are cooler. This one lacked energy if you ask me.
Throwdown Those stupids are so fucking boring. They should just call themselves 'Pantera2' and go play in bars for money. The only cool thing was that someone got stabbed or shot or something in the Vegas ghetto, where the show was, so they had to kick us all out with tear gas. Fucking gangsta wannabe hardcore rapsters!
Bury Your Dead Pure energy, fun and relentlessness! I love them! Every time I saw them was just fun!
Molotov Sollution A Vegas pride! Very impressive. Loved their message about 9/11.
Folsom So cool so true and so much fun to watch live! An even bigger Vegas pride!
The Offspring I was so prejudiced and careless about this show! Totally went there for Alex's fun. And it ended up that I downloaded all of their albums after the show. So cool! Definitely one of my fave concerts! Well. I've never listened to the downloads, but oh well.
Rancid One of my first musical loves, as they represented the continuation of Operation Ivy which I love to this day. The show was amazing! Every song is a hit! Pure energy and fun!
Rise aGAYnst It was like Madonna opening for Ricky Martin. Rancid opened for these clowns! So totally not worth me wasting words over their stupid ridiculousness and fakeness. I just left.
Against All Authority Pretty cool. All were wearing tuxes or at least suits. Energetic, fun!
Full Blown Chaos If the demons all gathered to wreck the building by sound, that would be it. They totally woke the demons and I couldn't even hide from the pit, cause I knew I was gonna get a mavashi in the face had I stayed.
Strife 1st time Rick broke his head banging it on the loudspeaker and screaming like crazy. Then he told me they were NOT a sXe band. Second time Rick broke his forhead with the microphone and Rick drank cognac. Still though, for some reason he told me he remembered me from the last show, which was cool.
Cold War Very impressive live. Very nice music. Very stupid lyrics.
Most Precious Blood I love them. The show was amazing. Nothing more to say.
Bad Religion it was the 30 years on the stage show and man they did play a 30 year long set. When Alex and I woke up in the end, they still hadn't finished playing but were still singing the same song again and again.
Sublime Not really Sublime, but the show was fun. Especially because we got to watch it in Vegas on the Mandalay Bay beach, from the VIP cabana, with free drinks. So...not too bad for not really having tickets for the show.
First Blood I am hardcore, you are hardcore, we are hardcore. End.
It Dies Today The guy has these cool melodic choruses on the album. Unfortunately, sang all of them out of tune which made them look funny..not tough.
Converge Scream scream scream, noise noise noise. Next song. Same thing. Yet, the negativity of this band totally attracts me.
Hatebreed The show was cool. I like hatebreed. Just hate the jogs in the crowd...but that could be just me.
Blood for Blood These guys are so awesome! The energy on the stage was great! Super cool show, only to be ruined afterwards by:Dropkick Murphys If I had wanted to see the Irish Simphonic Orchestra, I would have gone to see it. This stupid bagpipe BS was so ridiculous that I nearly cried and left.
Mastodon Vegas, the Crack the Skye tour - I was blown away! I didn't know where I was after the show! It was a spectacle! A breath-taking event! But in Manchester, in 2012, the Hunter tour...well that felt a bit like I was being given a lesson to learn. Serious faces of the band, ZERO communication and rapport with the audience...just may as well have played the songs really loud without the band even showing up. Could be just my expectations though...
Slayer As much as they are heroes of many, they are simply not my heroes. Never been a Slayer fan, so I watched and I watched and I stayed and listened...but when I got bored, I just left.
Soulfly So fucking loud! So much noise! I love their combo of metal + tribal..the Vegas show was no tribal at all. Pure metal loud to death. Barely even distinguished the songs. It all sounded like a mulch of music.
Sick Of It All The heroes of Hardcore are definitely tireless! Energy, fun, positive attitude, no stardom, no facade! All sincerely out there! Loved them every single time I saw them live!
Stretch Arm Strong These Christian gay ass fucks can go suck it. I had no idea they were that terrible live. I sold all my CD's of theirs after the show. Couldn't stand them!
Trapped Under Ice These guys are full of energy! Quite twisted and broken-up songs (at least to my impression from only watching them live twice), which ruins it for me a bit. Still though, tons of fun at the show! 
Catharsis I am so proud of having seen them twice, having fed them vegan food at my house and having let them sleep on my floor :) . One of the most amazing bands of all time! So powerful! So influential! Absolute masterpiece!
Walls of Jericho I was never much of a fan before I saw them live! That chick kicks ass! Absolute energy bomb! Super super happy to have seen them!
Remembering Never Didn't realize Mean Pete from Until the End was their vocalist until after the show. Hardly paid attention to them. I should have..
The Ocean This is practically my favourite band today! I died at the show! I sang, jumped, screamed! It was like I was the only one so fucking excited though...went backstage and spoke to them after the show...great guys! They are coming back in April and we already spoke with them that we're going for beers together! Fucking awesome!
TheDillinger Escape Plan They came as a surprise to me! Opened up for Mastodon! Absolute blast of energy! Totally won my respect! The power they have is like having had 10 redbulls! ALl over the place! Relentless! Super mega sharp musicians! A must see!
BFH My band. Playing live is my catharsis! If you see our show and don't see me giving every bit of energy I have, that means I must have given up my life. It's my absolute joy to explode with all my love, hatred, disappointment, hope and aggression all together, all at once. I hope to see you in the pit!

No comments:

Post a Comment